Year is round to end and it feels like we just started 2017 yesterday. So, this time no regrets for year 2018 I have curated best festivals around the world for each month. Just take a look at and plan for next holiday.
- To begin with January, Canada hosts a big Winter Carnival in Quebec for a fortnight starting from 26 January. Carnaval de Québec has been celebrated annually since 1955. Up to one million people attended the Carnaval de Québec in 2006 making it the largest winter festivals in the world. Major events held are opening and closing ceremonies, outdoor sport events, free outdoor public banquets, snow sculpture contests.
- Rio, Brazil hosts Rio Carnival in the second month of the year. It is not only the most famous carnival but the biggest carnival worldwide. Rio de Janeiro has long been regarded as the Carnival capital of the world. It is a 5-day carnival which starts 40 days before Easter. It starts on Friday and ends on Tuesday. Rio located in Southern hemisphere where it is usually summer and at its peak, people from across the world come to see the carnival during this time. I would be short of words if I continue to tell about this carnival. Just go through the official website: http://www.rio-carnival.net/
- St Patrick’s Festival held in Dublin, Ireland during mid-march every year. This festival was established by Government of Ireland in 1995. The main aim of this festival is to develop a major annual international festival around the national holiday over which the ‘owners’ of the festival, the Irish people, would stand proud. Initially, it started as 1-day & 1-night festival and now it is 5 days festival. St. Patrick’s Day is always on 17th March. The purpose to host this festival is bring the talents & innovation out from citizen of Irish, and portray their culture internationally.
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival in Australia is one of the largest comedy festivals in world. It is held every in year in Autumn. The Festival was first launched in 1987 by Barry Humphries and Peter Cook. Festival only runs for three and a half weeks each year. The comedians not only host in Melbourne but they travel to rest of the world too.
- Copenhagen Distortion Clubbing Festival, Denmark. Distortion started as an experimental party project in 1998 and then in 2000 it became a 5-day-long party-crawl going through one Copenhagen district per day. In 2007, 3000 guests were in the party and that’s when people realized that Distortion is no longer for fun and decided to open a semi-professional entrepreneurship (the Distortion Secretariat, Nus/Nus ApS) by making a contract with the Copenhagen City Council in 2008.
- Glasgow International Jazz Festival in Scotland, UK. Jazz festival was founded in 1977. It is a 5-day programme with full of Jazz. The just name it and its there from late night Jam session to The Bevvy Sisters. They also organize a Jazz Choir workshop for beginners. Along side, Scottish Jazz Awards is also held. Meanwhile, year 2017 was wonderfully celebrated, for more updates you can log on to their website and follow on Twitter.
- Japan is not behind in festivals too just like they are ahead in technology. Fuji Rock Festival is held every year where you can do camping, participate in activities and also enjoy Rock music. So, it is not only about stage but also activities for all age-groups. You can choose from over 3,000 package tours departing from 27 cities around Japan by plane, train and bus. Famous Moon Caravan is an auto camping area where you can stay in a tent house starting from Thursday (a day before festival starts) and enjoy till last day.
- One of the most awaited festivals La Tomatina Tomato Fight in Bunyol near Valencia, Spain. Make sure to mark this festival in your bucket list ‘coz I have done for myself. This is going to wierd as well as wonderful experience. Just wear your white tee & shorts and gather in the town square of Buñol to pelt each other with squashed tomatoes. Really, it is an unusual festival.
- Anyone for beer? Correct, I am talking about Oktoberfest. Munich, Germany attracts a lot of foreigners during the month of September for Oktoberfest. The festival is a party with enough beer, pork, merchandise and amusement park attractions to entertain you for days. Oktoberfest has everything. It takes care for party lovers, family lovers, traditional people, simply for people with different mindsets. They have rides & fairs for family day, traditional concert is held and traditional costume parade as well. This festival goes on till first week of October starting from end September.
- Canterbury Festival is Kent’s International Arts Festival. It attracts an audience of over 60,000 people of all ages to free and ticketed events. More than 200 events are organized in just 2 weeks. You will get to see from classical to contemporary to comedy to dance to poetry. Canterbury Christ Church University is the partner and principal sponsor of this festival.
- World’s Largest Disco held in New York City, USA every November. It is held at the Buffalo Convention Center and started in year 1979. The Guiness Book of World Records confirms that the crowd of 13,000 makes it the largest disco event of all time. It starts at 9pm and ends at 1am in night. Live music was organized in 1979 and then it returned in 1999 which is continued till now. Just dress up like a disco-(wo)man and head to Buffalo Convention Center.
- Rann Utsav in Kutch, Gujarat (India). It is largest salt marsh of the world, ‘The Great Rann of Kutch’. It is a revival of local artisans, folk artists & musicians of Kutch, which echoes for over a period of three months. It is the largest tent accommodation in India and it takes more than 2 months to set up. You will see more than 2,00,000 visitors from more than 20 countries. You have activities like Skyzilla, paramotoring, and ATV ride as well.
- Last but not the least, how can I forget to mention New Years’ Eve. This is something which cannot be missed and I have it in my list as well. I have been to Sydney Harbour Bridge but never got a chance to celebrate New Years there. But, I definitely will! Events start at 6pm by flying ace masterminds an aerial display just for NYE. At 6.50pm, a tug boat takes center stage in Sydney Harbour with a stunning water display followed by an encore aerial performance at 8pm. Fireworks display starts at 9pm continued till midnight.
I feel like starting my journey from now. While writing about these events I felt part of all these festivals. There are many festivals held every month in different countries. I tried my best to collect the bestest, affordable, accessible & famous festivals.
Written By: Alka Prasad